Re: Error reading block x (Attempt to read block...) (fwd)

 On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Derek Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Unless you're a file system hacker, pretty much the only answer you
>  should ever give to fsck's questions is yes.  Jerry is right though,
>  your disk is failing.  Once the fsck is completed, back up everything
>  you can, and replace the disk.  Modern disks have a huge percentage of
>  the disk surface reserved for bad block replacement (called the spare
>  block pool), and the fact that you're seeing bad blocks almost
>  certainly means that the spare block pool is exhausted, meaning your
>  disk has TONS of bad blocks.  It's only going to get worse...

Actually, I would have backed up before performing the fdisk.  Doing
the fdisk operation is destructive.  You lose information that might
have been helpful to recovery in the future.  Just my two cents.  I
have hosed a few file systems in weird ways by just naively "fixing"
the corruption...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
--