Re: editor wars! vim vs. emacs. WIMPY vs. fullscreen. ed is the one true editor!

 I have been an EMACs user for over 30 years, and it (GNU Emacs and
Xemacs) provide me (a developer) with just about everything I need to
develop code. But, EMACS has a lot of options, it is fully extensible.

The VI editor has been the standard Unix editor going back to about
1980. It was written by Bill Joy at Berkeley, but incorporated into
AT&T System V.  VIM is the OpenSource version of VI. In general, system
admins tend to prefer VI. VIM can be executed from the command line as
well as from a GUI. It also has a command line mode, called ex. You
will see that vi and ex are symlinked /bin/vim in Linux. The original
Unix editor was a command line editor called ed.

Essentially, these are the most common editors on Linux. Both GNOME and
KDE have integrated editors, similar to the Windows notepad (gedit,
kedit).  Both EMACS and VI have the capability to be customized
including the changing of the key bindings. (EMACS even has a VI
mode).  But, since there are almost as many editors around as members
of this list, it is really your choice.

Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846