Re: editor wars! vim vs. emacs. WIMPY vs. fullscreen.

 The editor war is both silly and enlightening at the same time. It is
silly because we hold our preferences so high.

Trivia: Do you know where the terms "big endian" and "little endian" come
from? They are commonly used to describe the layout of a machine's data
word, but they were coined by Johnathan Swift in Gulliver's Travels. There
were two political parties that bickered about which end of the soft
boiled egg should be opened, the "big" end or the "little" end.

Anyway, editors are like that, all this fighting about more or less the
same thing. Both emacs and vi[m] are arcane and difficult for the novice.

The ironic thing is that the two editors have been used by developers for
decades and for good reason. The "wimp" interface is very good for the
novice to accomplish new types of tasks because there is no memory or
experience involved.

The arcane command set of emacs and vi are very rewarding to those that
use it day in and day out. I can edit any number of files, quickly, switch
between them, substitute text, find, etc. all without my hands leaving the
keyboard and without having to de-focus on what I'm doing and focus on the
"user interface."

The WIMP interface is absolutely perfect for those people who tend to see
the computer as an email reader or DVD player and never need or want to
learn how to be more productive. conversely, the command line "textual"
interface is a far richer and more productive interface for tasks that are
based on logical constructs of tasks. They say a picture is worth a
thousand words, but that is within the context of describing that which is
pictured. Pictures are almost useless for describing a process or series
of tasks, that's why we have evolved complex human language and did not
stay with hieroglyphics.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but it is clear that some
tasks are ideally suited for one or the other, and performing those tasks
in the wrong environment is harder than it need be.

Back to editor bashing: I hate emacs as it seems even more arcane and
cumbersome than even vi[m]. I actually don't like vi and would rather vim
for work. I've used eclipse, kdevelop, MS Visual Studio, codeWrite, brief,
m, and a host of others, I always come back to vim.