Re: To php or not..

 Stephen Adler wrote:
> I've quite a bit of working using sun's java. From using the Swing
> class, to corba and some db connectivity. I find java to be too much for
> most applications and I prefer to stick to shell scripting. (My theory
> of how we will write code in the future will come down to the choice of
> a well designed scripting language. CPU cycles are soooo cheap, that why
> bother compile stuff these days...)

That would be fine if you fix a particular variable, in this case: "the
kinds of problems people try to solve with computers".

I argue performance will /always/ be an issue.  The things it will be an
issue for will evolve (i.e. it used to be that doing 2-D graphics was
high-end, now it's dealing with the genome), but there will always be some
problems where it will be worth the effort to use a less human-friendly
language like C/C++.

A particular area where I do see scripting languages taking over completely
from what was previously the sole domain of compiled-languages is
user-interfaces.  And I don't just mean how most software nowadays generate
some HTML and use a web-browser as the UI.  I mean using scripting-language
bindings to toolkits (such as PyQT/PyGTK).

But I think for the foreseeable future you're going to see a lot of back-end
algorithms keep getting implemented in crusty old compiled languages.  The
difference is that the UIs wrapped around them will be scripting languages.

Matt

believed to be clean.