RE: To php or not..

 Database:  Regardless of your language choice it may be advantageous to
use a framework that offers database abstraction.  If it works on a
bunch of databases you're starting from a pretty strong position (aka
ADOdb).  That way you can jump ship if your db has some unforeseen
limitation.

Server Only:  If you're only going to be scripting on the server side
PHP is pretty fun & easy to work with as you know.  However if you need
to other things it may not be the best choice.  I've used PHP CLI at
home but none of the people I work for have it installed.  They have
Pearl and/or Python.  Also if you want to make a GUI PHP-GTK is still
kind of immature or at least it was last I looked.

FWIW,
Eric C.

believed to be clean.