More on troubles with sound-- fixed one problem but not the other

 After reading everything I could find on openSuSE 10.3 sound issues (2 articles in the SDB provided some assistance) I think I have learned that:

1. the "SDB:Muted Sound Card" advice is not good since it seems to merely remove kdemultimedia3-mixer and doesn't fix the problem with kmix (I also got errors wehn following its remake instructions for alsa

2. the cure for my problems were in the SDB on "Audio troubleshooting". It seems that the users in openSuse 10.x don't get permissions to use the various services until those are enabled by root/su (see Step 6: How to fix permissions problems)

However, after all of this, KMix still won't work and I have yet to figure out exactly why. It is part of the kdemultimedia3-mixer RPM, but I did discover that when removing kdemultimedia3-mixer via Yast2 that there were dependency issues listed.

Does anyone know enough about KDE and kmix in SuSE 10.x to give advice on possible dependency issues that can be resolved by installing any missing pieces. I do recall that installing kplayer seemed to fix kmix, and I could do that again although I like the vlc package as a very useful single source tool for playing most media files. IF one of the parts of the kplayer RPM packages will do the trick without installing the GUI pieces, that would be great since KMix is a very convenient way for users to control sound from the desktop and these low-end systems I am building are meant to be used by ordinary users, not power users.

Thanks!