Re: I finally tried kubuntu 7.10. Didn't get very far.

 David Kramer wrote:
> ...sometime around installing Java, it crashed.

I ran into this on an Ubuntu system just recently too, when trying to
switch from the GNU Java implementation to Sun's. Because of Sun's
licensing, the package needs to display and get acknowledgment of their
license agreement, and that seems to be where it is hanging. This page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

has some tips on what to do to get it to work from a GUI installer, but
I was using aptitude from the command line and still had problems.

The system was running an out of date release (Fiesty), so I gave up on
the Java install and switched my efforts to upgrading the OS in the
hopes that the version packaged for the latest version woulds have this
resolved. It sounds like it hasn't. But I haven't tried it yet.

The other post in this thread explains how to clear the lock file so you
can try again, but if it is the same as my situation I tried several
times and it hung every time. You might need to install a different Java
package (non-Sun) or fix the problem with the Ubuntu package. I'd
recommend checking the bug database (https://bugs.launchpad.net/malone)
to see if there are existing reports of this and possibly workarounds.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA