Re: preferred way to setup a LAMP stack on a laptop for development?

 My original on this topic may have looked like I was implying I'm a web
development newbie and I've never built any web sites. Let me clarify that:
I know all about apache, and I run my own personal web site on Dreamhost, a
shared hosting facility. I know how to build web SITES. What I'm new at is
building systems/applications/whatever in PHP from scratch.