Re: preferred way to setup a LAMP stack on a laptop for development?

 > I'm leaning towards purging any Ubuntu version of apache and mysql I might
> have, and then installing XAMPP. Does anyone have any advice or experience
> to share, or other packages to suggest?

I've only tried XAMPP once and it was a while ago.  I hated it.  I
frequent a popular application's forum and occasionally somebody will
use XAMPP and have problems.  God forbid you try to use it in
production.  Maybe it's different now.  I don't know.  Quite frankly you
should should just be a stud and install apache, mysql and php via your
favorite package manager.  It's not that hard and neither is the basic
config.  To quote Sylvanus P. Thompson, what one fool can do so can
another.  I feel comfortable doing it on fedora, it's no big deal.  I'm
sure it's not much different on Ubuntu.

Editor?  Lately I've been playing with Geany.  It's fast and has almost
all of the features I want.  Works great on Linux and pretty good on M$.
http://geany.uvena.de/

Good luck with your projects!

- Eric C.

believed to be clean.