preferred way to setup a LAMP stack on a laptop for development?

 I have Ubuntu 7.10 running on my Thinkpad laptop, and I think I want to
start doing some PHP/mysql projects on it, since I've never really BUILT
anything with PHP, and it might be a good idea to get that kind of
experience.

Two choices I see immediately, for getting Apache and PHP and friends
working nicely are XAMPP < http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html > and
the standard Ubuntu repositories and packages. Here are my thoughts so far:

XAMPP:

+ very simple to setup a the exact same environment later on some other host
(any OS)
+ easy backup (comes with a shell script that does a proper database and app
code backup)
+ nice control panel
+ easy start and stop of the entire development environment with one command
+ easy switch between PHP4 and PHP5 major versions
- doesn't integrate with dpkg, no single-command system upgrades
- possibility of package and port conflicts in the future (ex: install
desktop application X, which depends on and installs mysql, which fails to
start because the port is already taken...)
- may lag behind latest upstream packages available from Apache, PHP, mysql,
etc.

Apache, php, mysql, etc from Ubuntu repository:

+ one command updates packages to latest Ubuntu-blessed versions
+ more up to date versions of packages available in repository
- could take a while to learn how to tweak everything so that apache is
properly integrated with php, mysql works from php, php knows where the
ancillary tools like ImageMagick are found, etc.; why worry about this if
I'm only ever going to deploy on a shared host where this is Someone Else's
Problem?
- no built-in backup command
- if you want control panels you'll have to find them and install them
yourself, otherwise you've got to edit lots of config files

I'm leaning towards purging any Ubuntu version of apache and mysql I might
have, and then installing XAMPP. Does anyone have any advice or experience
to share, or other packages to suggest?

What about code editing? I'm probably going to use a plain text editor, but
if I opt for an IDE, what's a good IDE for PHP/mysql development?

Brendan Kidwell

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and other dangerous content. Be
warned, however, that it may still contain dirty or offensive thoughts.

believed to be clean.