Re: gratuitous use of echo?

 On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 04:54:31PM -0500, Gordon Marx wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Ben Eisenbraun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >  I could do this with a temporary file, but I avoid temp files as much as
> >  possible.
>
> Why?

It's more overhead to use a temp file.  You have to avoid race conditions,
trap signals in order to do clean up and there's still a chance of leaving
junk files around if the script is interrupted.

If you keep it all in memory, then when the process dies, it all just goes
away.

> Also, going back a couple of posts...where did someone see that
> backticks were deprecated? I've googled around a little and have found
> literally zero authoritative sources.

I googled that as well.  This suggests it's deprecated:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/systems/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.baseadmn/doc/baseadmndita/korn_shell_comm_sub.htm

But this doesn't:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/xcu_chap02.html#tag_02_06_03

This suggests that backticks are more portable than () command substitution:

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90046/ch19s04.html

-ben

--
time is the best teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
                                              <hector louis berlioz>

believed to be clean.