Re: cloning bootable hard drive

 You might also have to rebuild initrd; I did a disk upgrade
last week that failed at the end until I figured out that
I had to run mkinitrd before it would see the volume group
within /dev/md1.

I had a 1U server with a single 80 gb disk I had purchased
on eBay back inthe summer, and I decided to upgrade it
to a RAID-1 pair of 750 gb disks before deploying it to
production. I had used LVM on the 80 gb disk when I first
installed CentOS, so I was able to shuffle things around
within LVM to move everything except /boot onto the new
drives. I copied over /boot with dump and restore, followed
by a grub-install and a mkinitrd.