Adding KDE to existing Ubuntu

 There was some discussion about installing and running KDE on an
existing Ubuntu system. I've done the opposite on SuSE systems. KDE and
KDE4 components are available for download and install. I installed and
tested with no apparent problems. I actually loaded some KDE4
components, but the main KDE came up as 3.5.

Essentially, I like Ubuntu's approach by providing a single CD as the
live / install system, then the user can download what components
he/she wants. In contrast, SuSE has always provided a very complete
package either as a multiple CD set or DVD. My experience with Red Hat/
Fedora, they more recently have provided multiple CD sets. IMHO, both
approaches work. In the case where we have high speed Internet, the
Ubuntu approach is fine, but in the case where connectivity is lacking,
having most everything on media works best. With SuSE, the downside is
that while you can select individual packages one frequently just does
not take the time.

Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846