Re: cron help

 James Kramer wrote:
> I can run the script using
> sudo /etc/cron.weekly/backup.  I will check the paths.

Then you should be seeing failure messages in an email to root, or syslog.

The only other explanation is if the script file isn't named "backup"
but instead something odd that gets excluded by the regular expression
used to enumerate the files to process in cron.weekly. See the
run-parts(8) man page.

> I think that I need to be root because I am backing up the /etc
> directory.

That's probably the easiest thing to do. You can increase security by
running the overall script as a non-privileged user, which then calls a
setUID script running as root to copy the /etc tree to a temporary
location. Whether this is worth the bother depends on how much you trust
3sync.rb.

> Which brings up another question: What are the good system
> directories to include in a backup

This partially depends on your distribution. In addition to backing up
/etc there may be databases in /var/lib that you want. You'll probably
also want to have your package manager dump a list of installed packages
in a format that can be later machine read to reinstall the packages.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA