Linux Journal editor replaced

 The latest Linux Journal issue was absent the editor's /var/opinion
column at the back, which made me check the masthead and I noticed
they'd reverted back to having Doc Searls as the editor. I found it a
bit odd that they made no mention of this.

No official mention online, either, but I found this unofficial thread here:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005902

Seems Nicholas Petreley was quietly fired. User comments seems to
suggest that some subscribers were bothered enough by his expressing an
opinion that they dropped their subscriptions.

The magazine under Petreley's direction did have a few bad ideas (I
recall there being a column of tips written in some silly style), but
they got rid of them quickly when they didn't work. Overall he seemed to
do a fine job, and at least they were trying new stuff. I think its
silly the way some got so bent out of shape that he criticized some open
source projects.

Given that Doc Searls remained heavily involved with the magazine even
while Petreley was the editor, it makes me wonder why they bothered
hiring him and what they hoped to accomplish.

Petreley LinkedIn page[1] or personal blog[2] don't shed any light on
what happened, other than to list "Editor in Chief at Linux Journal" as
a past occupation. Apparently he is also responsible for
varlinux.org[3], though I'm not sure what the purpose of the site is.
Another Linux news/discussion site?

1. http://www.linkedin.com/pub/0/169/842
2. http://petreley.com/?page_id=2
3. http://www.varlinux.org/