Re: Need C++ tutor for 10th grade student

 On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:46:37 -0500, Mark J. Dulcey <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>  These days, very few people in the real world program in assembler, at
> least outside the embedded design community.

One company that's known* to probably everyone on BLU uses HLL (C++?) to
write its flagship product. However, one young employee is fluent in (x86)
assembler, and fixes bugs that stump everybody else. *Sorry; NDA...

[...]

> On the other hand, learning assembler gives you an understanding of how
> computers really work that working in higher-level languages does not,
> and it will continue to be important for embedded designers and
> operating system designers for some time to come. I think that assembler
> would make a great SECOND language to learn for the student who shows a
> serious interest in computers and how they work.

I'd expect that it would be difficult at best to obtain anything like
logic diagrams of recent 8-bit CPUS, and impossible for those with longer
word lengths. Design docs for current CPUs surely don't have logic
diagrams on paper!

Being a professional codger, I was very lucky some decades ago to be
taught right from the ground up -- binary, circuits, logic, and low-level
programming. One really knows how a computer of that era worked! It was
rather expected that binary numbers and logic were not difficult, but
extremely different in several ways from one's usual experience.
Until then, I'd been as mystified as almost anyone else how computers
worked. Once it had been (beautifully) explained, I realized (with
newly-taught background) that they are not exotic and mysterious; basics
are rather simple*. What is significant, though, is that the ideas are
very clever and (at one time) very innovative, very different in many
ways. *or were, then, before it became possible to do the likes of branch
prediction, speculative and out-of-order execution, instruction
reordering, etc.

--
Nicholas Bodley
Waltham, Mass.