Re: [OT] Most-requested item in Vista

    Al> I would be curious to know what problems you and others are
    Al> actually having with Vista.

I have a dual boot Vista/Ubuntu 7.10 system. It's an HP Pavilion
Slimline. It's hooked up to my new widescreen digital TV, and I use
the Vista mainly for watching Netflix Watch Now, which only works on
IE7 under Windows.

I installed this system last October, and something about the upgrades
broke the sound.  I reinstalled Vista from the recovery disks, and the
sound was back.  Later, I found that when the sound seemed to be
broken, you could sometimes get it out of the front panel earphone
jack instead of the rear panel speaker jack.  A month later, it would
come only out of the rear panel and not the front panel.

Maybe someone who knows more about sound under Windows could find some
kind of mixer app that would fix this problem, but the only thing like
that I've managed to find seems to have no effect on either
manifestation of this problem.  That is, it doesn't make the sound
come out the front jack when it wants the rear jack, or out of the
rear jack when it wants the front jack.

    Al> The security popups are annoying of course...

They sure are.  I typically boot Windows once a week or so to watch TV,
and having to deal with those popups every time I boot, when I'm
usually sitting on the sofa (the font is a bit small to read at 1080p
from that distance) is a real pain.

    Al> I would also like to know about installing some Linux on top
    Al> of Vista or along side it.

I made the system dual boot without problems.  The ubuntu install has
one set of questions (in the disk formatting section) that you have to
be careful about answering correctly.  Most people on this list
probably understand the vocabulary, but a friend who wanted a
dual-boot laptop ended up with an ubuntu-only one by being too zealous
about accepting defaults instead of reading the questions.

I was also glad to see that the HP recovery disk did not clobber my
Linux partition when I had to reinstall Vista.  This may be because I
redid it after getting some dual-layer DVD's so that I'd have just one
disk, and this may have been after the Ubuntu install.

--
Laura (mailto:[hidden email] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097 fax: (501) 641-5011

believed to be clean.