Re: Freenet or ?

 Sorry I took so long to respond to this.

On 2/12/08, eric c <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Are you worried about the content stored in your datastore?
> Yes.  I wonder if it's necessary.  I'm new to this topic and in no way
> think I'm sharper than the devs on Freenet, but during my first overview
> of the application I'm wondering why I'm storing somebody else's data on
> my hard drive.  Could it be put into RAM instead?  Do other anonymous
> p2p apps have a datastore?  I'm currently googling, feel free to tell me
> if I'm being a bonehead.  :)

You're a bonehead. :^) No, of course you're not a bonehead.

It's got to be stored somewhere in on your host on a semi-permanent basis.
You see, the CREATOR of the content can't be the only one to store the
content because then the creator might be identified. So instead, everyone
randomly stores pieces of everything. Freenet is completely decentralized
with every node providing every function--including storage. So for it to
work, your node has to store a piece of the gigantic puzzle.

> Are you worried about the stability of the node software and the safety of
> > your system?
> Yes.  I dislike going outside of the fedora repo.  (My graphics card
> gets unhappy with every kernel update.  Yuck.)  How are you keeping Java
> up to date?

The Freenet project's installer should work fine on your computer, as long
as you're okay running Freenet as the same user as the one you usually log
in as. You should be safe enough in this instance; Freenet is well designed
and plays nice with your other desktop. However, if you want to take the
extra step and run Freenet as a separate user and access your Freenet node
from your browser as your normal user account, then ask me and the group for
help (if you can't work it out on your own.)

How do I keep my Java up to date? I use Ubuntu 7.10 and the "sun-java6-bin"
package in the "multiverse" repository does the trick for me. But there is
no downstream package for Freenet; I just used the multiplatform
Freenet-provided installer.

(in his next message, Eric said:)

> wow this is fascinating!  i'm testing out download speeds now.  any blu
> friends?

My home server is actually out of commission right now and I've only been
using Freenet VERY intermittently on my Thinkpad. When I've fixed my home
server and I setup a more permanent Freenet node, I'll pass its ID on to
you.

Brendan Kidwell

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and other dangerous content. Be
warned, however, that it may still contain dirty or offensive thoughts.

believed to be clean.