Re: Need C++ tutor for 10th grade student

 Jerry Feldman wrote:

> Someone earlier mentioned assembler. Assembler on the current crop of
> PCs is ok, but if you look at the IA64, it becomes very, very
> cumbersome and equally difficult to read.

It's not surprising that assembler on IA64 is difficult. VLIW code was
never meant to be written by hand; because of the tricky issues of
concurrency that have to be managed, it's easier to just let the
compiler do it for you.

These days, very few people in the real world program in assembler, at
least outside the embedded design community. Even there, assembler is
diminishing in importance as products move away from 8-bit
microcontrollers and toward much more power 32-bit platforms such as
ARM. On the other hand, learning assembler gives you an understanding of
how computers really work that working in higher-level languages does
not, and it will continue to be important for embedded designers and
operating system designers for some time to come. I think that assembler
would make a great SECOND language to learn for the student who shows a
serious interest in computers and how they work.

believed to be clean.