Re: Need C++ tutor for 10th grade student

 On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:28:14 -0500 (EST)
Mike Gorse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > MIT has developed amazing programming language  for kids -
> > It is unbelievable to see 7-year old kids writing programs.
>
> I was learning Applesoft BASIC at that age.
>
> I suspect that most kids don't start learning to program that young
> because they'd need someone to teach them and usually no one is around to
> teach them / thinks that it would be worth trying to do.

Back in the early '80s there was Logo. I think the dilemma for high
schools and colleges is really what languages to teach.  IMHO, the best
language to teach is one that teaches the principles of computer
programming and software engineering and, of course, data structures.
But there is also pressure from the students and parents to teach
real-world languages such as C, C++, Java, Python.

BTW: Applesoft BASIC was Microsoft BASIC branded for Apple on the Apple
II. The original Apple II came with integer BASIC in ROM, and a manual
partially handwritten by Steve Wozniac. BASIC actually goes back to the
'60s (1963 actually). I actually played with it on a GE timesharing
system in 1965.

Someone earlier mentioned assembler. Assembler on the current crop of
PCs is ok, but if you look at the IA64, it becomes very, very
cumbersome and equally difficult to read.
Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846