Re: Mac and Linux

 On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 09:25:27AM -0500, Tom Haskins-Vaughan wrote:
> My current set up is a F7 server and an Ubuntu 7.10 client using
> NFS/NIS. I'm looking into getting a Mac for web development. What's the
> best way to integrate a Mac client with a Linux server?

Since you already have NIS/NFS set up, I would just use it for the Mac client
as well.  It works fine for the most part.

> I'd like to have seamless access to my home directory from my server.

You'll notice glitches if you really start using the Mac heavily.  E.g.
on 10.5, clicking a PDF link in your web browser will download the file
to your desktop but not be able to open it automatically.  Or Spotlight
not being able to properly index your home directory, so Mail.app can't
do text searches of the bodies of emails.

I don't know if AFP has these problems, but that might also be worth
exploring.

-ben

--
lack of skill dictates economy of style.                   <joey ramone>

believed to be clean.