Re: Solaris 10

 Matt Shields wrote:
> Is there something specific about the RHEL boxes or your applications
> that keeps making you reboot?  Our entire infrastructure is RHEL3/4/5
> and CentOS4/5 and we've had no stability problems.

Other than kernel updates, nothing specific. They have varied from SCSI
tape drivers becoming hung, to issues with services crashing and not
being able to be restarted, or getting hung.

The kernel updates thing does bring me to another issue, in that with
these comes the possibility of third-party support. One issue that was
painful was when a customer (with good intentions) ran a software
update, which updated the kernel, and on reboot the EMC SAN wouldn't
mount. After spending hours on the phone it was determined that EMC did
not yet have a version that worked with the particular kernel version
included with the update, and that it would probably be a month or so
until they did.

Admittedly, there don't seem to any common issues with these servers,
however we have enough in the field doing things unique to each one that
we can make the comparison. The end-use for both the Sun & the RHEL
boxen are generally the same, however we receive far fewer support calls
on the Solaris servers than we do on the RHEL servers.
Thanks,
Grant M.
--
Grant Mongardi