Re: Solaris 10

 As a die-hard Linux enthusiast, I have to say I had been hard-pressed to
find may good things to say about Solaris  for years.  However, having
spent the better part of the last 18-months working intimately with
Solaris 10 in an enterprise environment, I can say I have gone
180-degrees from my original opinion.  I'm in full agreement that the
Solaris installer is "painful" to say the least, especially when you
need to be able to refine the install to customize a standard build
environment.  A lot of (imho) unnecessary effort went into getting the
dependencies correct and I too wished for "a better way" on more than
one occasion...  However, if you take a look at the OpenSolaris
Installation and Packaging Community
(http://opensolaris.org/os/community/install/), I think you'll find
we're not alone and progress is being made towards a new/updated Solaris
installer as with a host of other communities developing solutions to
address the demanding needs of the user base.

For what it's worth, we've taken a Solaris 8 shop, brought it up to 10
and over time, positively changed the general negative perspective of
our user base by leveraging JET Jumpstart, containers, zfs, live
upgrade, Dtrace and a host of other functionality that was unstable or
non-existent prior to this release.  Thats not even touching on the lab
work we're doing with SunCluster & Sun Grid (fun stuff), and S10 X86 on
VM's.  Now I wont sit here and try to tell you it's perfect, because it
isn't, but then again, show me a 'perfect' OS.   Admittedly, the initial
curve was steep but we leveraged the integration of Blastwave into our
standard build to ensure we had the tools we all knew, trusted and
understood from the Linux side of the world. For all that effort we now
have a highly refined Solaris build on which I would bet the works on
it's stability.

As a qualifier, In that same time, we've also rolled out a standard
RHEL4 deployment using Satellite server, both on physical boxes and
vmware instances with similar levels of success.  One thing we were
surprised at was the lack of interest in migrating to Linux (even by
those who had previously expressed interest), once we had the Solaris 10
build up and running.

Sorry if this is all over the place but I'm being hounded to get away
from the computer and out the door... ;-)

--Tim