Re: opinions on the Dvorak keyboard layout?

 On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 12:21 -0500, Brendan Kidwell wrote:

> What do BLU members think of the Dvorak keyboard layout itself? I tried it
> for a few weeks or months in high school (late 90s) but I concluded that it
> would take me many more months to become proficient at it to the point where
> I could actually use it faster than QWERTY. And of course, I had to remain
> bilingual if I wanted to be able to work on anyone else's computer. It
> seemed like a futile effort, and I gave up.
>
> So who has successfully switched to Dvorak? What was your motivation? Did
> you experience any measurable differences?

I'm a long time user and fan of it.  I have been using Dvorak
since I got a TouchStream keyboard, back when they first came out.
I loved that keyboard.

An unknown company bought out TouchStream and halted manufacturing then
used TouchStream's patent to make sure that no other product anything
like the TouchStream was ever made.  They wouldn't even let the founder
license back enough rights off the patent to continue to make
replacement parts or do repairs. I think that company may have been
Apple.  Killing off an amazing new technology for no good reason
would be consistent with Apple's corporate culture of stifling
innovation through litigation, closed source software, proprietary
protocols and formats, and unpublished hardware specs.

I have a couple generic Dvorak keyboards now that are modeled after
Dell's standard keyboard.  I added Russian language stickers to one
and German to the other.  I use xmodmap to switch layouts.

I was typing around 120 wpm on QWERTY before I switched.  It's hard
to say how long it took me to get fast on Dvorak since the
TouchStream was a whole new paradigm.  But, I'm typing slightly
faster on Dvorak than my current QWERTY speed - which has come down
a little bit.  I'm consistently over 100 wpm on both formats.  I can
switch layouts instantaneously and not really effect my speed.  So,
you don't have to worry about not being able to "go back".

I initially got the TouchStream because of RSI.  It cleared that
up for me.  I stuck with DVORAK after the TouchStream because I
found typing in it to be much less of a strain on my hands and
arms.  I found myself much less fatigued form the typing at the
end of the day.

I can't see myself ever moving off Dvorak to go back to QWERTY.
But, I've played with some other experimental layout which I
might jump to one day.

               - VAB

believed to be clean.