Re: Solaris 10

 [hidden email] wrote:
> Has anyone even looked at Solaris lately?

We actually sell it.

If you want all sorts of fancy desktops to choose from, the ability to
run just about every possible GNU application with the click of a mouse,
and updates once a week, install one of the mainstream Linux dists.

If you want a system that you can install (albeit, without all of the
feel-good emoticons and such), run the recommended patches and forget,
and still be able to do everything you need to do and have it work, then
install Solaris-SPARC, and be done with it. We have Solaris 10 systems
in the field that have been running unmolested since being installed in
early 2007. In fact, it was just recently rebooted due to an AD groups
issue, and it turned out that the problem was that AD had corrupted one
of the groups, so Solaris wasn't able to parse it for those users that
were members. Other than that, it just runs.

We have numerous RHEL3/4/5 installs in the field, and none of those have
even close to the uptime of our Sun boxen.

It costs more (in both hardware & administration) to be reliable and
consistent. If you absolutely, positively, need it to be up today, buy a
_real_ enterprise platform. In my opinion, there are only really 3 left:
Sun SPARC/Solaris, HP-UX, and IBM AIX. I can only speak for Solaris
first hand. I believe that HP-UX has alot of features from True64
(formerly DEC Unix), though. Sun SPARC is probably the least expensive
of these, although I could be wrong about that. I believe it is also the
most well-supported of the three by 3rd-party software vendors.

Thanks,
Grant M.
--
Grant Mongardi