Re: When will Verizon FIOS be coming to [YOUR TOWN NAME HERE]?

 On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 09:08:28AM -0500, Ben Eisenbraun wrote:
> There was actually a technical reason initially for avoiding certain towns,
> since when VZ first started rolling out Fios, they hadn't settled on how
> to install MDUs.  Since the ONTs have to be powered, how were they going to
> hook it up to _your_ power in a triple decker if you lived on the 3rd floor?
> I still haven't seen an install like that.  Does anyone know how they solved
> that problem?

Answered my own question:

"For smaller MDUs (those with two to 10 units), Verizon has been using the same
optical network terminals (ONTs) it uses in single-family homes. A source close
to Verizon's FiOS deployments to Florida MDUs says the carrier is stringing
fiber from distribution hub cabinets in the building's attic or basement
(depending on where a power source is) to each customer's residential unit,
putting ONTs in wiring closets or even bedroom closets."

More here: http://telephonyonline.com/mag/telecom_verizons_fttp_movin/

-b

--
a fanatic never laughs.