Re: Anti-recommendation: Comcast.

 On Jan 23, 2008 4:30 PM, Matt Shields <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I understand Comcast's decision, because they want to stop the flood
> of spam coming from home networks.  But for someone like myself which
> has valid servers on the internet and a valid reason for allowing
> outbound connecting to port 25, and I control what comes in and out of
> them, then I am responsible for stopping spam or my upstream provider
> will shut me off.  If Comcast is going to require my customer's use
> Comcast's outbound smtp servers, then that doesn't help me control
> what type of customers are on my servers.  In fact it means I can't
> use Domain Keys or SPF for my customers.

I'm not defending Comcast; personally, my reaction to their blocking
would be to switch to a different provider.

If I understand correctly, you have a colocated mail server that is unrelated
to Comcast, and some or all of your customers use Comcast as their ISP.
Comcast is making life difficult for them.

If this is what we're talking about, then there's not a lot you can do.
Their options are essentially (1) convince Comcast to stop blocking
their access; (2) implement a workaround; or (3) switch to a different
ISP. It's not a problem that you can fix for them; the best you can do
is to give them advice on how you think they should proceed.

--
John Abreau / Executive Director, Boston Linux &amp; Unix
GnuPG KeyID: 0xD5C7B5D9 / Email: [hidden email]

believed to be clean.