IMAP email indexing problem

 My wife is having a problem with her email that I can't explain.
We both use Thunderbird as an MUA, connecting to the same Sendmail
server running Cyris IMAP.  My mailbox is fine.  However, in my wife's
inbox the message list (subjects, dates, etc) don't match up with the
messages themselves.  That is, I can send her a message with (for
example) driving directions and she'll see that subject line in her
list.  However, when she clicks on the message (to preview in the
message pane) or double-clicks (to open the message) she'll see a
message from her sister instead.

This doesn't happen for all messages, but I can't discern a pattern to
those messages exhibiting the problem.  Additionally, when she accesses
the same account via Squirrelmail, everything seems fine.  That would
implicate Thunderbird; I removed the .thunderbird directory and allowed
the software to recreate it upon first access; the problem remained.
Both Thunderbird and Squirrelmail are using IMAP to connect to the server.

Anyone hear of anything like this before?  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
  -Don

believed to be clean.