Re: Inexpensive way to backup data

 Brendan wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:
>> The trick with Amazon S3 is getting end-to-end encryption working (so
>> the data stored at Amazon is encrypted - not just encrypted over the
>
> I have had awesome luck with rsync.net
> Rsync over SSH...

How does that address end-to-end encryption?

Dan Ritter wrote:
> If you encrypt file-by-file, you lose some metadata security but
> gain some efficiency.

True. But even file-by-file encryption throws out substantial bandwidth
efficiencies normally provided by rsync.

The problem is that you can have a 100 MB file (say a database) that
only has a few bytes different from the last incremental backup, but due
to the way encryption works, when rsync examines the post-encryption
file to see what is different, it'll appear like a completely different
random collection of bytes.

One project that attempts to address this with rsync is rsyncrypto:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rsyncrypto/

which tunes the encryption to operate on relatively small blocks of
data, so when only a small portion of a file changes, rsync is still
able to identify the portions that changed. This of course comes at some
expense to the strength of the encryption.

I've also yet to see a solution that provides rsync like efficiency, but
doesn't require local storage of the encrypted data (or the need to
reencrypt everything before determining what differences are present
between the local and remote copies).

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro