Re: SQL Benchmark, what environment?

 On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:00:18 -0500, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The benchmark I'm planning to write to compare MySQL and PostgreSQL, and
> maybe other like Oracle, is centered around a common use case. A mock
> social networking web site.

> The flow will be guided by a fixed list of users and they will cycle.
>
> What do you think? Have any other tests you'd like to see?
>
> Lastly, what environment? I'm mainly a C/C++ guy, I can do PHP if need
> be.
> I could probably do Java, but I'd have to setup tomcat. Perl would just
> be
> a pain. Any suggestion?

Ruby? :-)

Java/Tomcat would be overkill. Something like Ruby or Python would be
perfect for something like this. Yeah, you could do it in PHP but I don't
see the point. You could do it in Perl, too, I suppose.

The choices may be limited even more by the availability of latest drivers
for all of the various target databases. This might -- painfully -- rule
out Ruby since I have not been able to find a 10g or 11g client for it.

C++ may be overkill for this too, since you'd have to go through the
entire modify-compile-link cycle everytime you made a change.

So it may be that Python would represent the best choice, assuming
up-to-date drivers for Oracle exists -- and I think that's the case.

-Fred

believed to be clean.