Re: Virtual Box

 On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:12:31 -0500
Jarod Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> virt-manager is already either in the Ubuntu repos, or very close to being
> included in them. There was an open launchpad ticket to get it included, but
> I don't have a reference handy -- I think Kristian was actually cc'd on it
> though, so maybe he can provide the pointer (should also be in the list
> archives or locateable via your friendly neighborhood google).
>
> I use virt-manager + kvm for most of my guest OS needs these days. Finally got
> a new laptop with hardware virt support and enough RAM. :)

I did a quick scan of the Ubuntu repos, and was not able to locate it.

But, the net result is that with today's multi-core fast 64-bit chips,
virtual machine technology is a reasonable alternative.  IBM pioneered
virtual machine technology in the late 1960s with VM/370 (actually it
was first implemented on the high end 360s as a way to implement the
promissed virtual memory that was not yet available in IBM's OS. In the
mid-1970s we ran VM/370 and OS/VS1 as a way to run a production batch
system along with an online development system running under CMS
(Cambridge Monitor System - or just a single-user virtual machine).
While one may argue that a VM slows a machine down, we saw that under
this implementation we got better throughput. Additionally, I attended
a SHARE meeting that year where one of the presenters was able to show
how they got much better throughput by running 2 DOS (IBM mainframe
DOS, not PC-DOS) VMs, one batch and the other interactive. With VM/370
the system operator could play some tricks on the guest OS - but those
are for another day.

Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846