Re: screen locking - pam and xscreensaver

 On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 03:33:17PM -0500, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> For an out-of-box Centos install that utilizes PAM for xscreensaver within
> both gnome and kde, what factors would lead to xscreensaver not being able
> to properly unlock the user?   I reviewed the logs and nothing helped.
[...]
> Also, if the user stepped away from the system and wanted to manually lock
> it, what is the best tty screen-locking utility? I reviewed vlock, but
> after prompting me for my password, it then prompted for root's.  That was
> less than helpful.

It sounds to me like something has gone horribly wrong with your PAM
configuration...  That's a complicated beast that's hard to
troubleshoot without actually being able to look at the relevant
directories and examine the contents of the files therein.

I've used vlock, and install it on every machine I use...  IMO it's
the best.  It should not behave the way you describe unless you've
typed the wrong password for your own user account, or unless
authentication on your system is broken.

If this is a fresh install, I'd consider re-installing it... possibly
some post-install config script broke when you did the install.  If
it's not, then it seems very likely that some change you've made
recently (or some update that happened) has broken the config.

Otherwise, you're going to have to dig through your logs and PAM
configs to figure out what might be causing that.

-=-=-=-=-