Re: Re: Why is Postgres so much better than MySQL?

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 22:33 -0500, [hidden email] wrote:
> How about this, I'll supply some large data tables, TIGER or FreeDB, we'll
> work out a set of query strategies and conjunction with update, inserts,
> and deletes, that mirror actual use. You tune MySQL, I'll tune PostgreSQL,
> wne we'll run the benchmarks.
>
> What do you think, throughdown? You do your best, I'll do mine, and we'll
> publish the benchmarks.

While I would just LOVE to do this with you, especially since the
concurrency problems have been fixed in MySQL, I simply don't have the
time for it right now. Maybe in the near future. A real pity since I do
right now have a few 16-core machines I could do this benchmark on. By
the time my time frees up, those machines will be in production. :-(

*Maybe* later on this year, around summertime, I'll take your challenge.
By then, I should be past most of my current time sinks. Of course, I
may have new ones, but not as bad as now. We'll see. It would be cool to
get this on SlashDot, too! The Big MySQL/Postgress Showdown! The
rustling of a few leaves, the tumbleweed rolling by, the dust clearing
just in time for the face-off...

-Fred

believed to be clean.