[Fwd: Windows Server 2008 Application Compatability Lab Invitation]

 What do you all think about this?

Personally, I hardly believe anything Microsoft does is not motivated by
an anti-competitive agenda. What's the angle?

Subject: Windows Server 2008 Application Compatability Lab Invitation
From:    "GarrettSerack" <[hidden email]>
Date:    Wed, January 9, 2008 11:42 am
To:      [hidden email]

Howdy,

    (William Rowe from the ASF suggested I post this to your dev@ list)

My name is Garrett Serack, and I am the Community Program Manager in the
Open
Source Software Labs here at Microsoft.

I would like to extend an official invitation to the Apache Software
Foundation
to participate in the Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Compatibility Labs here
in Redmond. The Compatibility lab is scheduled for

   Monday February 25 2008 through Wednesday JANUARY 28 2008.

(the lab is actually booked thru Thurs the 29th, so an extra day is
possible)

WHAT IS IT?
-----------
The Windows Server 2008 Application Compatibility Lab is an event where we
invite companies to bring their applications into our lab, and have the
opportunity to perform compatibility testing with Windows Server 2008. In
addition to gaining insight into Windows Server 2008, this also includes
unprecedented access to various product groups (developers, architects and
PMs)
inside of Microsoft, who can lend their assistance, give technical
information
and answer design questions you may have.

Normally, we request companies send 3-4 attendees, and we usually have 3-4
companies in the lab in a given week. Given the ASF's size and breadth,
we've
reserved the entire lab for the week for the Apache Foundation, and we'd
like
to see somewhere in the range of 15-18 people from a wide variety of
projects
attend.

WHO SHOULD COME?
----------------
We would be very interested in having several people from the Tomcat, HTTPD
and
Axis groups attend.  Other projects including APR, Apache C++ Standard
Library
project, Harmony, and Maven.NET also come to mind.  Any project that is
impacted
by the release of Windows 2008, or is looking to solve Windows-specific
project
issues, may profit from this opportunity.

We are interested in having each project who deals with Microsoft Windows
compatibility or portability to bring small contingent of 1 or 2 developers
the table, so please chat within your own PMC or even your dev@ list first
determine who is most interested in attending this camp on behalf of your
project.  Space is constrained, and we'd like to ensure that specific
attention
can be given to projects that need it.

WHAT'S THE COST?
----------------
The cost of the event itself is being handled by our team (the Open Source
Software Lab), all you have to do is actually get here.  Some travel
assistance
by Microsoft will be available (hotel/airfare), *if* your employer can't
pick up such costs.  As my budget is limited, how much travel assistance we
can
provide is linked to how many need to avail themselves of it.  If you don't
need a subsidy, hotels can still be booked at MS's corp rate at most nearby,
saving some money.

WHAT IS THE PROCESS?
--------------------
To track interest, please register for this event in the subversion file

https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/hackathons/port25-08/attending.txt

and send me an email with the following information:

   Full Name:
   Street Address:
   Phone Number:
   Email Address:
   ASF Projects Involved in:
   Travel Assistance Required: (full/part/none)
   Product Groups you wish to get access to:
   Any technical aspects you'd like to address:

INSIGHT
-------
You might be interested in the "political" rational of why we value this
chance
to meet some of the ASF developers and help them work through Windows
compatibility issues. You can see Sam Ramji's blog entry about why we asked
Mozilla out:

  http://port25.technet.com/archive/2006/09/20/Why-I-invited-Mozilla.aspx

Garrett Serack | Open Source Community Lead | Microsoft Corporation
Office:(425)706-7939
email/messenger: [hidden email]
blog: http://fearthecowboy.com

believed to be clean.