AT&T offering $10 DSL service

 I heard this mentioned on a recent podcast. The first part - $10 DSL -
is old news from last Summer:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/84875
   As part of a promise made when AT&T acquired BellSouth, the company
   will start offering $10 768kbps/128kbps DSL starting this weekend.
   Some caveats: it must be bundled with a landline, the offer is only
   available online to new customers who've never had service and it
   requires a one-year contract.

And:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070618-att-launches-10-dsl-it-hopes-no-one-signs-up-for.html?rel

The new part is that they're now offering a $20 DSL service (at a more
typical 1.5Mbps speed) on dry lines (no existing phone service required;
also known as "naked DSL"). Naked DSL would be of particular interest to
anyone who has replaced their landline with VoIP or wants the
flexibility to do so.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071231-att-offers-20-naked-dsl-if-you-know-where-to-look.html?rel

   ...most telcos would rather not give up a major revenue generator by
   allowing customers to bypass the landline. But AT&T agreed earlier
   this year, as part of its conditions for acquiring BellSouth, that it
   would introduce a standalone DSL option by the end of 2007.

The article then goes on to discuss how this option is essentially
impossible to find on the AT&T site. They linked to this:

http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=10850

as the closest thing, which offers a naked DSL package for $24/month.
However that page seems to direct you to a phone number for ordering and
more info. No online order link or link to see if you qualify.

When I followed the residential service links from the home page I saw
varying results as to whether service was available in my area depending
on the number I entered. Obviously the area code and exchange will
impact this, as it identifies a region and central office, but even
changing the last 4-digits impacted whether it said AT&T DSL service was
available "in my area." So if it tells you it isn't, try other numbers.
If they install naked DSL, the last 4-digits should be completely
irrelevant.

The article also notes:

   As is the case with the $10 DSL offering, AT&T is only required to
   offer the $20 naked DSL option for the next two and a half years.
   After that, the company is free to make whatever changes it wants to
   the service. Given how little it has marketed either option, it's
   pretty clear that when those two and a half years are up, AT&T will
   probably kill them both off.

Whether they "upgrade" you to a more expensive plan after 2.5 years, or
you get grandfathered in is another consideration. If you can live with
that uncertainty, it seems like a good deal.

While at the AT&T site I also took a look at their business DSL plans.
They have a small/home office business plan with a static IP for
$50/month (up to 6 Mbps down/768Kbps up; rate dependent on your distance
from the CO). No option mentioned for a dry line or additional IP addresses.

Seems quite competitive, but is having AT&T as an ISP any better than
having Verizon? I doubt it.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro