Re: Re: MySQL -- was mysql backup quesiton

 > dear mark,
>
> yes, it did not respond to my PHP application when the record hit
> millions entry. well, it will need sometime to dig my archives since
> i'm not into it right now (it was 2-3 years ago). anyway, i'm glad to know
> there's somebody here could help me with pg, i really want to give it a
> chance.

Ahh, it didn't crash, it "stopped responding."  That could be very telling.

Well, one of the downsides of "good" or *intelligent* query planners is
that they need information to work correctly. Databases like Oracle and
PostgreSQL have an "analyze" command which does a statistical sampling of
the data and creates hints for the query analyzer to use.

What you describe sounds like a classic case. I'm not saying this is what
happened, but I've seen this behavior on a few different database systems,
alas PostgreSQL as well.

The query analyzer thinks the table is pretty small, so it plans the query
assuming it can load all the data it needs to use in RAM. It then starts
to churn through the data, low and behold, it runs out of its alloted
memory. Then it switches storage from RAM to disk, which slows it down
HUGELY.  This sort of behavior makes the system look broken because its
working fine, and then all the sudden, it seems to take for ever or hang.

The fix is to run analyze. This is something you should do periodically as
it helps the query planner decide the best approach. For instance,
PostgreSQL often decides NOT to use an index if it thinks the table is
pretty small. This will save memory and disk I/O not having to scan the
index. If PostgreSQL doesn't know that the table is large, it doesn't use
the index.

believed to be clean.