Re: Compiler Recommendations

 The other day I alluded to a document, normally referred to as a
"calling standard". This is a document that defines how functions and
procedures are to be called. As mentioned, most RISC processors use
registers for some of the parameters. The calling standard is important
because it defines a standard way that these calls are to be made
between computer languages. It allows a FORTRAN program to call a C
function, or a Pascal program to call an ADA routine. One of the more extensive ones I saw was
the calling standard for VAX/VMS. Every language on the VAX was
supposed to be compliant. There certainly were other issues, such as C
accessing a FORTRAN string or array. (Arrays in C are row major where
FORTRAN is column major). Additionally, some languages pass their
arguments in different orders. C passes its arguments onto the stack
last to first such that the called function picks up the first argument
from the top of the stack(below the return address of course). The
reason for this is that C and C++ allow for a variable number of
arguments. (Note that passing via registers simulates a stack). Most
other languages pass arguments first to last.

IBM, back in the 360/370 days did not have a calling standard. COBOL
had its way of calling, FORTRAN had its way, PL/1 was different. The
only way a COBOL program could call a FORTRAN function would be through
in assembler interface. Things were real messy. And Burroughs COBOL
essentially could not call anything because Burroughs did not even have
a Linkage Editor.

Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846