Long scp transfers fail on dropped packet

 I'm having a bit of an argument with an online backup vendor about robustness
of their application when transferring large files.

Vendor:  You're dropping too many packets.
Rich: I can't reproduce this with anything less than 100MB of transfer.
Vendor:  You're dropping too many packets.

Indeed, apparently I am dropping too many.  A predecessor in my job had the
same kind of run-in with Dell and Red Hat concerning drivers for the gigE
interfaces on the 1950-class servers.  I *think* that's where the packet loss
(actually I think it's corruption) is occurring, at such a low rate (under 1
in 10,000) that the only application that can reproduce it is with utilities
which rely on openssh, such as scp.

My hunch is that the vendor is using openssh for its file transfers.  I'm
already well on the path of dumping the vendor anyway in favor of an on-site
solution (I want to try bacula, but the learning curve is *immense*, it comes
with a nice 800-page user manual!) but I'd like to get to the underlying
problem if I can.

Any thoughts on running scp for files over 2GB or so, in real-world networks
that run on systems with flaky gigE drivers?  (Tried reducing port speed to
100/full, doesn't help.)

-rich
P.S.  Do you use bacula?  Email me...

believed to be clean.