Re: Compiler Recommendations

 On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 02:44:58, John Chambers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I mean, has anyone *ever* written a compiler (or linker) that assigns
> locations as a function of the variable's name?  Hmmmm again ... I'll
> have to find an excuse to do something just like that.   The  problem
> might be successfully justifying it to others.

Did I miss something?  I don't think that was the point of the code.
There are no locations assigned because of the variable name.  It
takes the address of i, and increments it by one word (size of address
allocation based on your arch, 4bytes/32bits or 8bytes/64bits, etc).
The address of j doesn't need to be assigned incrementally (ie. the
next word).  Perhaps even the allocation is done on architectures
where stacks/heaps grow in opposite directions, and subtracting the
latter address from the former will actually really mess you up!
These are just random thoughts though, and I don't have a specific
example in mind.  Jerry Feldman is an old sage and provided a personal
experience that I thought was a perfect example where someone has
assumed just that scenario!  I still am young and need to acquire a
bunch of those "old sage" personal examples.  As of right now, I got
none :-)
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."

believed to be clean.