[OT] Do be careful with your commands...

Definitely OT, I'd say, but I thought it might amuse some BLU subscribers.
(Please do let me know if this is an inappropriate message; I did consider
whether or not to send it!)

Spam is not yet like this, thanks be. It's more like inverse spamming of
oneself.

Trying to be brief; excerpting two paragraphs from a list owner's apology.

<quote>

To clear a minor but annoying issue with the e-mail subscriptions of about
half a dozen defunct subscribers, I changed an option for the whole list
[...]
Unfortunately, I forgot to use the QUIET keyword that would have stopped
notices of the change being sent out to everyone.

[...]

Please ignore the message. And - please - do not e-mail me about it.

In a fine example of an instruction returning to bite the issuer, I have
now been sent 29,000+ individual messages confirming that each of you had
been told of the change. You may feel this was a good example of getting
one's just desserts.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words

One might guess that he's not a programmer nor a script file writer.

Happy New Year to all!

--
Nicholas Bodley
Waltham, Mass.