Re: digital signature

 Stephen Adler wrote:
> If I do need to go through the 3rd party registry route, who should I
> use?

Several commercial providers offer free certificates for individuals to
use on their email. This Mozillazine wiki page:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Getting_an_SMIME_certificate

recommends a few and provides instructions on using them with Thunderbird.

A few times I started filling out the forms for a certificate from
Thawte, but always gave up after finding the form too intrusive. When I
ran across the above page I tried out the provider they recommend,
Comodo, and the process was simpler. Of course the less information they
gather, the less it proves about the bearer of the certificate.

> Say I sign a document with a self generated key pair, how does a
> third party know that the signature came from me and not someone
> posing as me who generated their own pair of keys?

As Dan pointed out, none of these issuers really prove that the
certificate bearer is who they say they are. In the case of Comodo all
it really proves is that the bearer has the ability to receive (or
intercept) email at the email address being registered.

About the only thing an official certificate issuer buys you is that the
certificate authority certificate will already be installed in your
recipient's software, so they'll be able to conveniently confirm the
validity of the certificate.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro