Re: mixed case URL's

 John Abreau wrote:
> Stephen Adler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Does it really matter if I have a mixed case URL or not. (i.e. for
>> cross browser, cross platform compatibility?)...
>
> The rest of the URL is typically mapped to the filesystem, and may
> or may not be case sensitive depending on the underlying OS.

My reading of Stephen's question was that he was more concerned about
the client side ("cross browser...compatibility"), which is logical as
that is the part you have the least control over.

Although there have been issues over the years with browsers not
handling certain punctuation and international characters properly in
URLs, I've never heard of any problems with case. So I don't anticipate
that you'll encounter any difficulty in using mixed case URLs.

But there is of course the user friendliness aspect, which no one has
mentioned. If you expect your URL might ever be typed by hand, then
you'd be better off keeping them lower case, as a typical user is
unlikely to pay close attention to the case.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA