RE: Compiler Recommendations

-----Original Message-----
From: Casey Callendrello [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2007 4:21 AM
To: Anthony Gabrielson
Cc: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Compiler Recommendations
Anthony,
You've certainly picked quite a deep topic to jump in to!  Compiler
design is one of those areas of computer science that remains extremely
academic.  To that end, I recommend checking out the MIT Open Courseware
page for class 6.035, Computer Language Engineering.  See
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/6-035F
all-2005/CourseHome/index.htm

While I can't speak for the MIT class, when my fellows and I actually
went through the process of creating a scripting language from the
ground up, it was an eye-opening experience in terms of the decisions
computer scientists have to make in the real world.  In general, I'm an
advocate for learning through tinkering / hacking, but there is a lot to
be gained from a proper introduction to compiler techniques.  Not, of
course, to presume you haven't had one!

Book recommendations:
* 'Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools', better known as "the
Dragon Book" by Aho, et. al. is *the* definitive text on language
construction.  I imagine that every single language author has read this.
* 'The C programming language'; Everybody should have this.

If your ultimate goal is the creation of a new language, you should
check out the ANTLR parser generator.  Building parsers is the most
tedious and difficult part of programming a compiler, so anything that
can be automated should be! check out www.antlr.org

Hope this helps!
--Casey

Hello,
        I'm actually about to enter my last semester in a CS masters
program.  I have one class this semester and happens to be Design of
Programming Languages.  I have had all of the theory classes etc and I'm
curious to take a peek at an implementation before I start the class.
That's why I'm looking for a fairly straight forward implementation that
will cover a lot of what I have learned and shed light on what is to come in
an implementation form.

Thanks,
Anthony

believed to be clean.