Re: Has anyone asked Comcast to stop blocking inbound ports?

 Brendan Kidwell wrote:
> I have a question that's tangental to the "DSL on the South Shore?" thread.
>
> I'm very mad right now. I have Comcast at home (Belmont, MA) and I just
> spent half an hour trying to setup a tunnel from home to my office computer
> I'm on at the moment, so my brother at his house could connect his vncserver
> to my listening vncviewer.
>
> Turns out that Comcast is blocking port 5500... and 5501... and EVERY port I
> tried except for SSH and HTTPS![snip]

Brendan,

You have two options:

   1. Start the VNC viewer from a command prompt with the --listen
      switch, and specify a port number in the 40,000+ range.
      C:> vncviewer --listen 45500
   2. Configure your router to translate a high port down to 5500, and
      forward it to your PC.

Then, have your brother do an "Add client" command from his VNC server,
and enter the port number after the address, like so:

glump.net:45500

... and you're in business. HTH.

Bill

--
Lookng back through time you know its clear that i've been blind
I've been a fool

                     David Gray

believed to be clean.