Re: Verizon FIOS

 On Sat, 2007-12-22 at 08:28 -0500, John Abreau wrote:
> If DNS response time is really your problem, the simplest solution
> would be to run your own internal DNS server. DNS is a very basic part
> of the Internet plumbing, and using a DNS server that's not on your
> local network will add latency to pretty much everything you do on the
> 'net.

Actually, that's not entirely true.  Using a recursive DNS server that's
on a fast backbone can sometimes noticeably increase the speed of
lookups.  Keep in mind that a single recursive query causes a nameserver
to have to go out and hit multiple different servers on the net.  If you
have an "ok" connection, each request has to go across that.

<advertisement mode="pimp" company="DynDNS">

The company I work for (DynDNS) has a recursive name service available.
It's not free, but it's only $30/yr.  We don't do any query hijacking or
sending you to search results for zones that don't exist.  We don't keep
any statistics on you.

And the servers are connected directly to some pretty darned fast
backbones.  :)

If you're interested, check out:

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/recursivedns/

I will say that when I switched from running a local caching recursive
nameserver to using Dyn's recursive, I definitely noticed a speedup in
the loading of pages.

</advertisement>