Re: Has anyone asked Comcast to stop blocking inbound ports?

 On 12/20/07, Robert La Ferla <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How do you know it's Comcast and not a firewall on either system?
> Also, as others pointed out, VNC is on port 5900 and is usually used
> in conjunction w/SSH.  Furthermore, how do you know it's not your VNC
> software?  I had various problems with some VNC software and not
> others...  Try a different package.

Okay, here's my proof: I had three machines... OFFICE, SERVER (at my house)
and BROTHER.

- I opened a tunnel from SERVER:5500 to OFFICE:5500 and ran "vncviewer
-listen" on OFFICE.
- I tried to initiate a vncserver connection from BROTHER to SERVER (which
would tunnel through to OFFICE. This failed.
- Telnetting from OFFICE to SERVER:5500 got no TCP/IP response (same as
vncserver trying to connect.)
- Telnetting from SERVER to SERVER:5500 (via SERVER's public IP address)
resulted in a SUCCESSFUL CONNECTION to vncviewer on OFFICE because the
initial connection was bouncing straight off SERVER's home router and did
not go out on the Internet and get blocked at Comcast's gateway as did
telnetting from OFFICE.
- Eventually, I was able to get it all to work with the tunnel ending at
SERVER:443 instead of SERVER:5500.

Again, vncVIEWER listens on port 5500 by default. vncserver listens on 590x.

Brendan Kidwell

believed to be clean.