Re: DSL provider on the south shore

 I had a similar issue with Earthlink DSL requiring a Mac or Windows
to setup, although there wasn't any step that I'd describe as a
registration.  Their tech support was useless for getting it to
work with Linux, but after poking at it a bit, I discovered that the
DSL modem would activate as soon as I used it for a DNS query.

I don't know if that's an Earthlink-specific procedure or if it's
standard for DSL modems.