Re: Gnome and Microsoft

 On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 14:50 -0500, James Kramer wrote:
> I really like Gnome and prefer it over KDE.  However, I am getting concerned
> about Gnome always kissing up to Microsoft.  I am considering swithching to
> KDE.  I know that they are both top of the line.  Is any one else concerned
> about the Gnome-Micorsoft love affair or am I imagining things?
> Jay

When we had the Gnome Conference here in Nat Friedman's bounty hunts
were very largely involved in adding Gnome features that made it more
compatible with MS Windows and imitated features in MS Windows.  A good
portion of that was focused also on font rendering.  I do believe, and
thought at the time, that such a focus puts Gnome at a competitive
disadvantage, and it probably still does.

The X11 environment is much more powerful than anything MS ever put
together and yet the features of X are not in any way being applied to
create a truly powerful desktop interface.

Remote access and desktop vitalization still aren't being leveraged, and
if Novel invested in that, they could sweep away a large segment of the
Citrix, Windows, client farm business with currently exists.

So in a word, I don't think your imagining what your observing, however
I can't see how moving to KDE can overcome the issue.  KDE is more like
MS Windows from the ground up.

Ruben

believed to be clean.