Re: pulse-audio in F8

 On Dec 14, 2007, at 7:47 AM, jbk wrote:

> I removed it after discovering that audio was not working
> consistently, and now sound works as usual. My assumption from
> reading posts on the forums is that the software was developed with
> root access and the user space permissions were not worked out
> across the devices managed.

You'd have to ask Lennart himself to know for sure, but I'm fairly
certain he didn't do the development solely as root... With any new
software, there are typically growing pains though.

> Does someone have a different experience with it?

No problems I've noticed on any of my own boxes, everything still
seems to work just fine. What exactly wasn't working in your case?

> There was never any tool in the menus identified as Pulse-Audio,
> though that could be because I upgraded from Fc6 and the user tools
> were not installed.

Yes, on a clean F8 install, there's a thingy in the Gnome Sound &
Video menu called "PulseAudio Volume Control", provided by the package
pavucontrol.

PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) is a simple GTK based volume
control
tool ("mixer") for the PulseAudio sound server. In contrast to classic
mixer
tools this one allows you to control both the volume of hardware
devices and
of each playback stream separately.

Assuming you upgraded straight from FC6 to F8, I'd have to wager at
least some of your issues could be due to something not quite being
handled properly with skipping F7. All my clean F8 installs and F7
boxes upgraded to F8 are behaving perfectly normally with respect to
audio, anyhow.

> Does it work on top of alsa or does it replace it.

On top of it.

--
Jarod Wilson
[hidden email]