Display configuring

 Something that might possibly help...

If you can't make your display fill out the screen, try configuring the
max. vertical scan rate to 60 Hz. That should affect only that particular
window manager's config., pretty sure; it can't mess up a dual boot, of
course.

OpenSUSE's (10.3, here, KDE) display configuration utility doesn't give
you control of refresh rate, and apparently it pushed it too high. I'm
running 1600 x 1200 on the Mother of All Curb Finds, a DEC VRC-21WA in
loverly condition.
(Left that typo in place...) Expecting 1600 x 1200 at 75 Hz or so might be
pushing it.

As Yast[2?] configured it, there was a wide black border, and I couldn't
make [Yast] fill out the scanned area. Hitting OK in the display/monitor
setup brought up the Test display, but the sizing "buttons" didn't work.
Xfce (iirc; mouse logo on startup) has a very nice resolution selector,
and that gave me a clue.

This frustrating inability to fill out the full scan has happened to me
many times over recent years with various distros; an earlier Mepis comes
to mind, for one. In that case, I didn't ask for max. resolution and fast
refresh, fairly sure. Monitor was an IBM G74, iirc.

I could, most likely, have adjusted the monitor to work harder and fill
out the screen, but, I dual-boot, and most likely I'd have to readjust
every time I changed OSes. No thanks. As matters stand, no need to
readjust; other OS runs 1280 x 1024.

HTH, somebody, sometime...

Fwiw, I have had a 100% transparent (invisible) mouse pointer lately;
horrid! Seems to have been caused by installing IceWM (not listed by
Yast2), but am not sure. Not at all easy to get it back, and I don't
remember at all well how I did it. (Not logging much, just now.)

Btw, I might be away from e-mail in the next few days; sorry!

Best regards,

--
Nicholas Bodley
Waltham, Mass.